Sunday, April 12, 2015

Kompany: My mum made me reject Manchester United

No comments :

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has revealed that his mum prevented him from joining Manchester United when he was a teenager.

The Belgium international, who has won two Premier League titles at the Etihad Stadium, was the subject of an enquiry from Sir Alex Ferguson’s side when he was just 17 and plying his trade for Anderlecht.

But Kompany says that his mother insisted he finish his schooling before moving abroad, and he says “everything has played out perfectly” after he eventually sealed a switch to England in 2008.

“United asked about me, but I had other priorities at the time. I was studying for my A-levels and my mother made me finish my education before I could concentrate on football,” he is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

“"It’s a massive honour to be captain of this club and I can tell you that I feel really good. I have put my sweat and blood into Manchester City. I’m passionate about the club and I want success as much as the owners.”

City travel to Old Trafford to face United on Sunday, and Kompany has called on his team-mates to turn in a good performance as they bid to win a fifth consecutive derby.

“When I started playing for City, these games were 90-10 in United’s favour. We knew every time we went to Old Trafford that history wasn’t good for us there.

“It’s different now. This game is about two big clubs facing each other. It’s almost 50-50 – and we all know what this game means.”


Credits : goal.com

No comments :

Post a Comment